Who here loves Pinterest? Yeah, me too! In fact, I think obsessed would be a better word. One of my favourite things to pin is yummy looking recipes (mostly of sweet things) which until now I had never attempted to make. But the other day I made a deal with myself - in order to justify spending so much time on Pinterest, I have to start making something from there at least once a week. So the other day I made an aubergine layer bake. It was quick, easy, and yummy, the three things I look for in a recipe! Oh, and it's pretty healthy too, hooray for unintentional extra vegetable intake!
the star of the show - THE AUBERGINE! (or eggplant to you crazy Americans)
grating up some carrot and courgette to add to the tomato sauce (I like to add extra veggies to everything as it's such an easy way to get a couple of my 5 a day!)
lightly dry-frying the aubergine slices (although I don't think I needed to do this...)
all layered up and ready to go in the oven
If you'd like to try this for yourself you will need.....
Two large aubgergines
Three tins of chopped tomatoes
One large carrot - grated (optional)
Two medium courgettes - grated (optional)
Three cloves of garlic
A ball of mozarella
Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Salt and pepper
- Slice the aubergines and lightly fry in a pan with no oil until just browned on either side. You will need to do this in batches as they wont all fit at once!) Place on a plate and set aside.
- Finely slice the onion and garlic, and fry in a little olive oil until cooked.
- Add to the garlic and onion the tinned chopped tomatoes, plus an extra tin of water. Then add the grated carrot.
- Season the sauce to taste with salt, pepper, oregano, and a good glug of balsamic vinegar. Place a lid on and leave to reduce.
- When the carrots are slightly softer add the grated courgette and leave until soft.
- You can either leave the sauce chunky, or whizz it in a blender if you'd like it smoother. I blended mine as my sister hates chunks!
- In an ovenproof dish pour a thin layer of the tomato sauce, then add a single layer of the aubergine slices, then a thin layer of the sauce. Repeat until you've used up all the aubergine. For the final layer cover with the sauce, then add the torn up mozarella, followed by a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius for about 45 - 50 minutes.