about me my website my shop contact FAQ links Image Map

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Mary Blair

You have probably never heard of Mary Blair. But you will all, almost without fail, have seen her work in one form or anothe. Confused? Let me explain....

Mary Blair is an American born graphic designer and illustrator, and is most famous for her work with Disney. She produced concept art for movies such as Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and Cinderella, and she is credited with colour styling in all three of these movies. Basically her art work had a massive influence on how the older Disney films look.

But that's not all folks. She is also the woman single-handedly responsible for designing the 'It's a Small World' attraction, at the request of Walt Disney himself. Impressive huh? Oh and she has also illustrated numerous books, many of which have never been out of print since the 1950s.







Ack, I'm so in love with her style. It's so instantly recognisable, and so full of character. It makes my heart melt. But I also wanted to show you all some of her concept art for a couple of the Disney films she worked on. However I could not narrow it down enough, so have made two separate posts which will be appearing over the next day or so :) Please do check back, the illustrations are so beautiful, and you can immediately see how her work shaped the final product.

2 comments:

I love getting comments and read every single one. I try to check out the blogs of people who leave comments, and reply wherever possible :) Thank you! xoxo