Saturday, 12 January 2013

baked pumpkin oatmeal



oh yes folks, the day has finally arrived where I, Zoe Jade Bateman, FINALLY make something that I pinned on pinterest. and not just anything, I made a healthy breakfast option (two things about me; one, I never eat breakfast. unless you count a litre of coffee as breakfast. and two, I don't really do healthy.) so this was a bit of an odd thing to pick admittedly, but what drew me in was the pumpkin. I LOVE PUMPKIN. like, a lot. my sister bought me a tin of pumpkin puree from an American food store, and I wanted something to make with it. it was a big tin, and this recipe only used half of it, so I think I will use the other half to make some pumpkin muffins... I got the recipe from Budget Bytes originally (her site is awesome - definitely going to make some more of her recipes!)


 this is what it looks like fresh out of the oven - a bit like the dry plains of Africa, when the ground starts to crack... (YUM)


I served mine up with soya milk, but you can add anything you like - have it with yogurt, fruit, maple syrup, cream.... go crazy! it doesn't look like the most appetising thing ever, and the texture is a BIT weird at first (actually, it's a lot weird.) but it's easy and quick to make, it really fills you up, it warms you up, and it's about as healthy as a bowl of porridge! WOO! the recipe is below if you want to try making your own.


 BAKED PUMPKIN OATMEAL RECIPE

you will need:
  • 15oz pumpkin puree
  • half a cup of brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • pinch of salt
  • half tsp cinnamon
  • half tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1.5 cups milk (you can use milk subs though - I used soya milk in mine)
  • 2.5 cups scottish porridge oats
how to make it:
  • preheat the over to 200 degrees celsius. whisk together the pumpkin purée, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking powder until smooth. whisk in the milk slowly.
  • mix the dry oats into the pumpkin mixture. pour the pumpkin oat mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish. cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, removing the foil after the first 30 minutes.
  • serve hot right out of the oven or refrigerate until ready to serve. can be eaten cold or reheated.


4 comments:

  1. This looks so tasty. How long will that last you?

    Love you Zoe and miss you also xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum and yum! x

    http://zigandzagbloguk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already made something that I pinned on pinterest. But my reation was the same, after a long time of "pinning" I really made some of the recipes " Someday I will do this"

    Kisses and great weekend

    http://thedailymiacis.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and read every single one. I try to check out the blogs of people who leave comments, and reply wherever possible :) Thank you! xoxo