Yes, I am one of those people that are on an online dating site. Part of me is slightly ashamed (mainly as in my head people who use online dating sites are weird old men with a foot fetish - remember when that's what online dating meant?!) but part of me doesn't mind. I think online dating has become much more socially acceptable now - when I tweeted about it several of my followers informed me they'd met their partners online. Finally, the internet is good for something other than pinning photos of rainbow coloured cakes!
Because I am a workaholic and am very socially awkward (particularly around men) I haven't had the best luck in the love department, hence the caving in and joining a dating website! But I thought I'd share with you a few observations about the wonder that is online dating...
1. 90% of men will have a photo of them with a woman as one of their images. I'm not really sure what the purpose of this is. Maybe to demonstrate that they can interact with females? Although what's to say they didn't pay the girl to pose for a picture with them? I find it drums up too many questions in my head; who is this girl? Is this their ex beau? Is this the kind of girl they find attractive? Is this their best friend who I will be expected to also become best friends with despite the fact that she is clearly in love with the guy? Or maybe I just overthink things.... ahem.
2. EVERY SINGLE MAN HAS BEEN TO SOUTH EAST ASIA. They also have the photos to prove it. Topless ones. On the beach. With a plastic bucket of alcoholic beverage. (yes I have been to Thailand and done the young English abroad routine, but that is not my defining moment in life. That would be the moment I stood two feet away from Michael Cera. If I had a photo of the moment it would definitely be on my profile.)
3. ' I like books, music, and movies' is apparently a completely acceptable description of your interests. Which is good, because everyone else I know hates those things.
4. It's physically impossible to write about yourself without sounding like a complete douchebag, so don't even bother trying. Embrace the douchebag.
5. Guys think girls want to hear very different things than girls actually want to hear.
6. People lie. A lot. About everything. For no reason.
7. Men get offended if you question the height they put on their profile. REALLY offended. (Seriously though, I am 5 ft 7. I can look you dead in the eye. This means you cannot possibly be 5ft 10.)
8. Sarcasm is not a universally understood language.
I was thinking of maybe blogging more about my adventures in dating, purely because I think it would be a good form of therapy for me! What do you reckon? Would you be interested in hearing about the twists and turns of my (mostly non-existent) love life? Have any of you tried online dating? Any good experiences? Any funny stories to share that would ease my pain?! xoxo