about me my website my shop contact FAQ links Image Map

Wednesday 23 March 2011

Stormtroopers in Stilettos

Has anyone else been to see the Queen: Stormtroopers in Stilettos exhibition in East London yet? Now, I like Queen as much as the next person, but the real reason I went to the exhibition was because my Mum is a big fan of the band, and I knew she wouldn't go unless someone went with her! I didn't really have high expectations, I thought there would be some photos, magazine clippings, a bit of a makeshift set up. But it was incredible! I learnt so much about the band, and have found a renewed love and admiration for them as a result.




Freddie Mercury studied at Ealing College of Arts, which no longer exists, but which used to be really near to where I live! Below are some of his drawings from his time there - they also had some of his sketchbooks on show, and his main focus seemed to be women's fashion.








They had television screens and headphones all around the exhibition area, playing loops of Queen interviews, live performances, and music videos.





I honestly did not expect it to be as interesting as it was. Normally when I got to exhibitions I find myself losing after an hour or so, but my Mum and I stayed here for well over two and a half hours, as there was so much to look at, things to read, and things to watch. My favourite part though was right at the end, as they had an area where you could stand together with headphones on and watch a mini Queen set list. Everyone was miming the words, playing air guitar, and really enjoying it. About as close as I'm ever going to get to seeing an actual Queen concert! Check out the website, which has a video tour of the exhibition here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and read every single one. I try to check out the blogs of people who leave comments, and reply wherever possible :) Thank you! xoxo