So this whole online dating malarky has got me thinking about what I look for in my 'perfect' guy (the quotes are because I don't actually believe there is any such thing!) I'm pretty fussy when it comes to men and I, like so many other females, seem to go for the guy that doesn't like me/is mean to me/ messes me about/plays hard to get. Here are a few qualities and skills I'd like my future partner to posess...
1. must be able to listen to me drone on about Harry Potter/The Hunger Games/some obscure Japanese horror film/ a cute picture of a dog wearing a hat/my new favourite blog all the time. Even better, they'd actually like some or all of those things too! (definitely wishful thinking)
2. must be able to play some sort of musical instrument. I'm inexplicably drawn to men that can play instruments, especially drummers and bass players. Total groupie.
3. must like dogs. I'd like a house full of dogs one day, so this is a deal breaker.
4. must have at least one of the following; dorky glasses, floppy hair, pale skin, stubble, too tight jeans, an Irish accent, an uncanny likeness to Michael Cera or Matthew Gray Gubler.
5. must have good oral hygiene. You'd think this would be a given but I have learnt otherwise...
6. must enjoy hip hop music. Must also enjoy drinking mojitos and taking questionable photos in toilet mirrors whilst listening to hip hop music.
7. must be thoughtful, but not cheesy. I'm not a traditionally romantic person at all, but I like thoughtful gestures. Recording The Walking Dead when I fall asleep on the sofa = thoughtful. A dozen red roses at work = cheesy.
8. must not be a slacker. Smoking weed and playing video games all day is all well and good when you're 16, but when you're 26 it's a bit sad. Release that stranglehold on your youth and do something with yourself.
9. must be passionate about something. It doesn't matter what, it doesn't even matter if I don't like the thing they're passionate about. I truly believe everyone should have at least one thing that they love and can talk about at length.
10. must 'get' sarcasm. I have a sarcastic sense of humour, and on too many occasions I think I've offended people who think I'm being deadly serious!
11. must be American. I want a green card.
12. must be good at apologising. I get annoyed easily, but I am also very quick to apologise and move on. My ex was never very good at saying sorry, or admitting when he was at fault, or at letting things go and it led to lots of arguments. My mother taught me to never go to sleep without saying sorry and making things okay, and I definitely try to live by that.
What things do you look for in a partner? Are you fussy when it comes to dating? xoxo