Lately I've been in a bit of a blogging slump. Not becuase I don't know what to blog about, because I always have lots of ideas, but more because a)I have been crazy busy, and when I have hundreds of items to make for craft fairs and wholesale orders it is hard to justify taking time away to blog, and also because b) I've gotten into the vicious cycle of self-doubting. For example I wanted to do a mini tour of my craft room/studio. I got my camera out to take photos but then started rearranging things. I decided it didn't look how I wanted it to, so planned to tidy up and organise the room and then take the photographs. That was about two months ago! I keep putting it off because, as silly as it sounds, I am scared. What if people don't like it? What if I don't like it? Other people have such lovely photos of their beautiful spaces, what if mine looks rubbish in comparison? Maybe I should wait till I get my wide angle lens. Or maybe I should get someone else to take the photos. I'll wait until summer when there is more natural light. This is what goes through my head whenever I think about blogging at the moment, and I've decided it's time to take a step back and remember why I started blogging and why I continue to blog two years on.
1. as a sort of digital diary - I'm useless at keeping written diaries, and so my blog is a way of recording things I have done, places I have been, people I've met, as well as keeping track of my goals. One of my absolute favourite things to do when I'm feeling a bit blah is to look back at my old blog posts - never fails to make me feel really good about what I've acheived
2. as a way to meet new people and build friendships - when I started my blog I had just broken up with my boyfriend. We'd been together for five years, and he was my whole life. When we split up I felt like I had nobody really, and I suffered a lot with my depression. I started blogging, and reading/commenting on other blogs, and began to make new friends. These people have helped me to regain confidence that I thought was gone forever, and I can't even begin to tell you how much my online friends mean to me.
3. because it offers me a chance to reflect on thing - often in day to day life I take things for granted. Oh yeah, I went to this place, yeah I saw that person, yeah we ate this and talked about that. Everything is constantly moving, and sometimes it's easy to only ever focus on the next thing, without ever thinking about the things that have been and gone. Blogging lets me take time to write about and remember things that I've done, and offers a platform on which I can talk about subjects which I might otherwise push to one side.
4. because it makes me feel part of something - the blogging community is seriously amazing. Being part of it, however small that part may be, is amazing, and something I am so grateful for. It's like having a huge extended family!
5. because I genuinely love it - I love everything about blogging, from taking the photos, to planning post ideas, to reading and replying to comments. The only reason I would ever stop blogging would be if I stopped enjoying it.
Why do you blog? Have you ever thought about it, or do you just do it? How did you first get into blogging? And would you ever stop blogging? xo